Shropshire Revolution v Humber Warhawks


The Shropshire Revolution thrashed Humber Warhawks 49-0 at Oakengates Athletics Stadium on Sunday to record their first win of the season and move to 1-2 in the NFC II South division.

Humber were 1-1 coming into this fixture having been thoroughly beaten by Leicester Falcons the previous week so they were keen to bounce back with a win.

In warm conditions it was going to be a game of stamina and Shropshire drew first blood. After the Revolution defence forced Humber into a fumble on their opening drive, quarterback Rich Mantle found James Tomlinson for a 20-yard score.

Wide receiver Mark Phillips doubled their lead with an excellent jet sweep to put Shropshire in control. Humber’s defence were finding it difficult to deal with the Revolution no huddle offence and the rising temperature wasn’t helping.

Determined to make the most of their momentum Shropshire went in search of another score. After getting into great field position on Humber’s 2-yard line Mantle ran the ball across the line and with Adam Harris’ point after they led 21-0.

A Kris Doody touchdown soon after made it 28-0, and when rookie James Derry stripped the ball from the Humber running-back and headed into the endzone the Revolution were ahead 35-0 at the break.

The second half presented the Revolution with an opportunity to give their rookies some much needed game time experience. They all got their chance to shine, including backup quarterback Vitor Pinheiro who rushed for 38-yards and almost connected with Sean Austin for his first touchdown pass.

Mark Phillips, who is having a brilliant season, scored his second touchdown of the game giving him 64 receiving yards from 3 catches on the day. Shropshire weren’t finished and running back Andy Charman took the ball home to complete the rout.

The only sour note for the Revolution was the loss of defensive back Tom Carter who, after a brilliant interception, left the game with a dislocated elbow.

It was a fantastic performance and no more than the team deserved after all the hard work that’s been put in during the preseason by both players and coaches.

Head Coach Stephen Tonks was delighted: “I am very pleased with the performance of the team. We dominated the game from start to finish.

The offence showed what they are capable of achieving and the defence recorded their first shutout since the last game of the 2014 regular season. The players’ confidence is increasing and we are looking forward to our next challenge”

Offensive coordinator Neil Holtschke added: “Today was a great result for the team.  A much needed win but a win I felt we have deserved given the work the guys have put in on the training ground.

It’s important though that we use this now as a building block for the rest of the campaign, but it’s nice to know that losing streak has been broken.”

The Revolution face Lincolnshire Bombers on Sunday 15th May at Oakengates Athletics Stadium where they have the chance to go 2-2. Kick-off is from 2:30pm so make sure you’re down to support the team!

Images, Mike Dean, MD-Images. To see more images of the game head over to Mike Dean’s site here.