Revolution secure playoffs with win over Warhawks

Shropshire 31 Humber Warhawks 6

The Shropshire Revolution secured playoff football with a 31-6 win over Humber Warhawks at the West Campus Sports Field on Sunday. The victory was the Revolution’s third in a row and secured second spot (6-4) in the NFC II South Division.

It’s been a remarkable 12 months for the Shropshire side having finished 2015 winless. However, with a change in coaching staff and a lot of hard work by everyone involved at the club, they deserve their place in the postseason.

Even though the Revolution has completed all their regular season games there is still one more round to go, so their first round opponents are not officially confirmed. At this stage it looks like they’ll be traveling away to face Leeds Bobcats, but depending on results could face Newcastle Vikings.

Both the Bobcats and the Vikings top their respective divisions, so whoever the Revolution face it’s going to be a tough test. Sunday’s game was a gritty affair but one which the Revolution defence dominated as they looked to subdue a strange Humber offence.

Shropshire got on the scoreboard first with a two point safety after the defence pressed the Humber quarterback who was trying to get the ball out of their 5-yard line. Running back Andrew Charman extended the lead when he ran in from close range for his fourth TD of the season.

The Warhawks got themselves back into it rather fortuitously after the Revolution defense forced a fumble only for it to roll into the endzone, and into the waiting arms of an opposition player. Instead of the extra point Humber attempted the two point conversion, which was stopped short.

Shropshire’s next offensive drive stalled and after the punt Humber got the ball back. It wasn’t long before the Revolution defence was causing more problems. On the home side’s next drive they were forced to punt but unfortunately the ball sailed over the head of the punter and into the endzone where the Revolution defence forced yet another fumble, this time though, they were the ones landing on the ball in the endzone.

Leading 18-6 at the break Shropshire needed a couple of scores to make the game safe. They got another safety, when yet again, the Humber snap to their punter was far too high and went out the back of the Warhawk’s end zone.

Shropshire’s James Derry produced another moment of brilliance as he ran back an 80-yard kick off for the score, and when Revolution quarterback Adam Harris found Kris Doody in the endzone it was game over and the post season celebrations could begin.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *